Tooth colored fillings:
Tooth colored fillings restore and mimic the natural appearance of tooth structure. In addition to restoring teeth that have fractured or decayed, tooth colored fillings may also be used cosmetically to change the size, and color of teeth.
What are the advantages of tooth colored fillings?
- They closely match natural color and appearance
- They bind chemically to tooth structure
- The bonding restores 85-95% of the original strength of the tooth.
- They completely harden in seconds instead of 24 hours.
- Tooth sensitivity is minimal and brief, if any.
What are disadvantages of tooth-colored fillings?
- Frequent and/or prolonged exposure to dark liquids (coffee, tea, red wine, etc.) and foods which are rich in red dyes (curries, etc.) may stain them.
- They are more expensive than dental amalgam (silver fillings).
- Dental insurance companies frequently impose a surcharge, payable by the patient, for placement of a tooth-colored fillings instead of dental amalgam, especially for back teeth.
Amalgam fillings (silver) :
Dental amalgam has withstood the test of time. It has a 150 year proven track record and is still one of the most durable and least expensive materials used to fill a cavity. It is estimated that more than one billion amalgam restorations (fillings) are placed annually. Dentists use dental amalgam because it is easier to work with than other alternatives.
The best choice for tooth fillings?
When it comes to selecting the best material for you and your teeth, a consultation with your dentist is key. Strength, esthetics, cost, and longevity of dental filling materials may vary greatly in different situations and for different patients. Some of the considerations your dentist takes in account when recommending a particular filling material are; the current condition of your teeth, the size of the area that needs restored, the location of the teeth involved, and the forces being placed on the teeth during chewing.
I am so happy with the results! I should have done this 10 years ago.